As a specialist firm in Project Services, Project Resource Partners have a unique view of the external market. We are in a fortunate position where we see first-hand what types of projects are in flight, which sectors are busy and also the skill sets in highest demand. We also understand the frustration for candidates who are met with the sometimes common feedback “unfortunately you don’t have the relevant sector experience”.
As a trusted advisor and recruitment partner, we are often able to educate our candidates and clients that sector experience is not a critical requirement. Undertaking a process to look only within the sector will minimise your candidate pool and more likely have the outcome of higher rates and limited skill. Our extensive network allows us to identify suitable individuals who have the required skill set or experience without coming from the relevant sector, that can deliver! We have a strong track record of successfully transitioning candidates into different sectors and do believe this is of great value to our clients.
We are welcoming and encouraging the recent trend of clients recognising the value of expertise from other sectors. Some of the benefits in doing so include;
- Bring a more thorough/complex project execution model (i.e from those sectors with more mature capability)
- Bring a different way of thinking into the organisation
- Increase capability in your organisation by recognising skill gap (ie. digital capability
- Sharing of IP across sectors)
- Improve culture.
A client comments below on her recent experience of hiring from outside the sector;
“ I have recently taken a Project Manager from outside the retail sector and I have found it to be an extremely positive process. This experience has been an eye opener for both me and my team and again enormously positive, there have been wins which were definitely unforeseen;
- My team have an increased thirst for learning and collaboration – it’s great to see, especially with the junior PMs
- The team are draining information from this contractor whom has clearly a wealth of knowledge gained from their varied sector background
- My team are implementing new ways of thinking and management which is having a positive effect on outcomes, meetings and issue resolution. My team is sharper!
Overall this experience has been extremely beneficial for the team and the project environment of the organisation moving forward”
As Project Resource Partners work across multiple sectors including Education, Finance, Retail, Utilities, Health, Transport and Industrial amongst others, we have a comprehensive network of candidates and deep knowledge of their sector experience. This holds us in good stead to make informed decisions about relevant candidates on behalf of our clients. We are pleased to see this evolution in our market and strongly believe the benefits will see continued benefit for both the Project Management Industry and Industry in general.
If you are a candidate or client who would like to understand how to best approach this, please feel free to reach out to Evan Xeres on +61 3 9949 8105 or email@example.com.